Header Image

California Read-A-Thon

I am a teacher librarian in California. And in todays' budget climate I still have my job. For that I am thankful. One aspect of my job that I don't love is convincing people of the importance of Libraries (school libraries in particular) and credentialed Teacher Librarians. I know that I am preaching to the choir; you are all book lovers and therefore, probably Library supporters.

Last October I participated in the Dewey 24-hour Read-A-Thon. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and got a wild idea: I'd host a California Read-A-Thon for school libraries throughout the state. We'd get kids reading, I'd sponsor mini-challenges (yes, stealing most of my ideas from Dewey), I'd get prizes from publishers, it'd be so great!

Now it's mid-March and I am in a panic! What was I thinking taking on this task? What if no one does it (we've only got 8 schools signed up so far)? Part of the problem is that a large percentage of California schools don't have credentialed Teacher Librarians and the Library Techs probably don't want to take this on. But, I am working on PR, getting prizes, and creating mini-challenges (for the Librarians).

Schools can participate at whatever level works for them. April 11 to 17 is National Library Week so our read-a-thon is on Friday, April 16 for elementary schools and Saturday, April 17 (9:00am to 3:00pm) for secondary schools

I would like to appeal to all of you for help and input:
  • If you know anyone associated with public schools in California, please direct them to the California Read-A-Thon website/blog so that they can encourage their schools to participate
  • If you have idea for prizes (and how I can contact the "giver") please let me know
  • If you have favorite mini-challenges, let me know and I'll try to include them
Thank you!

No comments